The systems section is responsible for the overall functioning of the computer systems at the Inland Revenue Division (IRD).
The division has been computerized from 1996, using an Oracle database in the name of SIGTAS (Standard Integrated Government Tax Administration System) to store all tax information and to perform just about all its tax duties such as cashing, creating forms to be sent out, assessing taxpayers, creating objection and audit cases, registering taxpayers. All sections at the IRD are therefore dependent on the program and the technology behind it. Hence the systems section plays a very important role in the operations at IRD. It is the job of the systems staff to ensure that the SIGTAS database is always up and running, that the program itself is functioning smoothly and efficiently, that the employees are satisfied with hardware and software performance and that security of the system on a whole is maintained.
Presently the systems section houses three members of staff - the supervisor, the computer technician and the systems analyst. The duties/responsibilities of these members can be summarized as follows:
- Database Administration: This function involves tuning of the database and other administrative duties that ensures efficient running of the database, backing up and recovery, maintaining users and keeping updated with the changes in technology, software and hardware
- Computer Programming/Software Development: This includes creating and updating packages, forms and reports for the SIGTAS program and correcting errors
- Technical Duties: These duties involve analyzing hardware problems, solving minor hardware and software problems such as problems experienced by employees with their computers and basically keeping all computers in good working condition
The main objective of the systems section is to provide an efficient system for the Inland Revenue staff to work with. Tuning of the database and other administration duties that ensures the system operating efficiently include:
- Backing up and recovery
- Maintain users and keep updated with the changes in technology, software and hardware
- Creating and updating packages forms and report for the computer program and correcting errors
- Analyzing hardware problems, solving minor hardware and software problems