Motor Vehicle License

All motor vehicles driven in the state are required by law to be registered. The registration fee for any motor vehicle is $100.00 and for a motorcycle $60.00. Vehicles are categorized into seven classes.

  • Private
  • Commercial
  • Government
  • Trucks and Dumpers
  • Articulate Lorries
  • Public Service
  • Diplomatic

Each class of vehicle is assigned a specific prefix clearly identifying it from other classes. Where persons import their vehicles into the state they are required to furnish to the Division a copy of the Customs Declaration Form, showing that custom duties have been paid, before the vehicle can be registered. If, however, the vehicle came into the country duty free, the individual must provide a copy of the duty free document approved by the Minister of Finance. Once the documents are examined the vehicle can be registered as described.

Examination and Licencing of Motor Vehicles/Cycles

Before a motor vehicle can be licensed it must be inspected by an examining officer who determines its road-worthiness. The vehicle will be inspected only if the insurance is valid. After the examination, a fitness slip is issued to the individual and it should then be taken to the Inland Revenue Division for payment of the license. The annual license fee payable is determined by the use and weight of each vehicle. In the case of motorcycles the horsepower determines it annual license fee. Inclusive in the fee payable, is $40.00 for inspection.

Transfer of Vehicle

Transfer of vehicle is required when a vehicle is transferred from one owner to another. This involves the amendment of the records to show the current owner of the vehicle. In order for this to be done, the transferred slip must be signed by both the current and previous owner, within three weeks from the date of the sale.

In order to prevent fraud the previous owner is required to come in to the Inland Revenue Division to sign the transfer form in the presence of an officer of the Division. The previous owner should also bring along document showing his/her identity (eg. Passport, driver's license, social security card). If the previous owner is unable to come in, he should sign the transfer form and provide the current owner with a formal document (passport, driver's license card, social security card) showing his signature.

In the case of a company, the company's stamp replaces the signature.

If the previous owner is unable to sign the transfer slip, the new owner must obtain a legal document/affidavit stating clearly how he/she came into possession of the vehicle. The legal document will then act as the transfer and the records will be amended accordingly.

If the current/registered owner is dead, the legal personal representative becomes owner for the purpose of the transfer. In absence of a legal personal representative, the people will lawfully posses the vehicle becomes the registered owner for the purpose of the transfer. In both scenarios, the death certificate and a legal document stating ownership should be presented to the Inland Revenue Department. For all transfers a fee of $40.00 is payable.

Amendment of vehicles Registration

At some point it may be necessary to change the registration of the vehicle from one class to another. Amendments within the same class are not permitted unless instructed by the licensing authority. Amendments forms must be completed and signed by the owner. An amendment fee of $40.00 is payable for the completion of the transaction.